Just started the UPSC preparation?
Looking for important books and study materials? then this is for you.
In this article, we have shared the complete list of books for UPSC beginners. The books shared below are based on the review and recommendations of IAS aspirants on Amazon India website.
NCERT books for UPSC beginners
Don’t dare to miss NCERT Books at the beginning of UPSC Preparation. These books will lay the foundation for your preparation. These are easily available in the local market.
You may also borrow these books from school kids studying in CBSE affiliated school or buy second hand from friends. If nothing works out then click on the link given below to buy from Amazon.
- NCERT Text Books from Class 6 – 12 – Link to buy from amazon, you may also buy NCERT books for UPSC as a bundle here at discounted price.
A complete book list for IAS Prelims Paper 1
These all are the must-have books for UPSC Prelims Paper 1. Some of them are also helpful for mains preparation.
- India’s Ancient Past RS Sharma
- Our Constitution
- Medieval Indian History
- A Brief History of Modern India Spectrum
- Indian Art & Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Indian Polity 5th Edition Laxmikanth
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography
- Indian Economy (Ramesh Singh) 11th Edition
A complete book list for IAS Prelims Paper 2
These all are important books for UPSC Prelims Paper 2, which you must buy to effectively cover the syllabus.
- Reading Comprehension for Civil Services Preliminary Examination
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills by Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning, Analytical Ability and General Mental Ability for Civil Services Preliminary Examination
- Basic Numeracy for CSAT General Studies Paper-II
- Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
All in one or GS Manual for UPSC Prelims Paper 1 & Paper 2
- General Studies Paper 1 Manual – If you are a beginner, an all-in-one book can help you get a quick idea about the UPSC requirements. Manuals by Pearson, McGraw Hill, and Arihant are equally good. Buy any one book.
- General Studies Paper 2 Manual – Selective practice of MCQs from any 1 of the following books – Pearson, McGraw Hill, or Arihant should be sufficient.
Practice set for IAS Prelims Paper 1 & 2
Practising old question papers before UPSC Prelims can boost up your preparation. So here we have recommended some of the best book available for practising old question papers of Prelims (paper 1 & 2)
Practice set for IAS prelims paper 1
You may anyone books from the option given below
- 25 Years UPSC IAS/ IPS Prelims Topic-wise Solved Papers 1 & 2 (1995-2019) – By Mrunal
- 25 Years’ Chapterwise Solved Questions IAS Pre General Studies Paper I – By Arihant
Practice set for IAS prelims paper 2
Here again, we will suggest two most popular books among aspirants. Prelims Paper 2 is consist of 100 questions with 200 marks to be completed in 120 minutes.
- Cracking the CSAT Paper-2 – By Arihant
- 25 Years Solved Papers 1995-2019 General Studies Paper II CSAT for Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2020 – By Access
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 1 – (Indian Language)
There will be two qualifying papers in any Indian language and English each of 300 marks.
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 3 – (Compulsory English )
Paper-II Compulsory English of civil services mains examination consists of 300 marks and is of qualifying nature.
Here we will suggest you two most important books which will help you to qualify this paper smoothly
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 3 – (Essay)
Candidates will be required to write an essay on a specific topic. The choice of subjects will be given.The following textbook will be useful for the preparation
- Essay Paper For Civil Services Main Examination
- Selected Contemporary Essays
- Contemporary Essays Ramesh Singh
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 4 – (General Studies 1)
There are 11 topics under (GS – 1) Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society. Some of the books mentioned below are included in the prelims list, so you may exclude them.
- Indian Art & Culture – Included in prelims books
- A New Look at Modern Indian History: From 1707 To The Modern Times – By BL Grover
- A Brief History of Modern India (2019 – 2020 edition) – Included in prelims books
- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra (1857 – 1947) – Included in prelims books
- History Of The Modern World – by Jain and Mathur
- History of the World – by Arjun Dev and Indira Arjun Dev
- Social Problems In India – by Ram Ahuja
- Contemporary Issues in Globalization – by Soumyen Sikdar
- Certificate of P & M Geo – Included in prelims books
- Indian and World Geography – by Majid Husain
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 5 – (General Studies 2)
The topics of General studies 2 are mostly of administrative nature such as governance, constitution, polity and social justice. Let’s explore the available resources which will help you to sail through the examinations.
- Introduction to the Constitution of India ( Durgadas Basu)
- Indian Polity 5th Edition
- Select Constitutions
- Our Parliament
- Public Institutions in India: Performance and Design
- Governance in India
- Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy (Rajiv Sikri)
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 6 – (General Studies 3)
Current affairs will play a crucial role In order to prepare this section of the syllabus. Apart from a few books, NCERT books will also help to cover some portion of the syllabus.
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh
- Indian Economy – Datt Rudder (Author), KPM Sundaram (Selected Topics)
- India Year Book
- Economic Survey
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 7 – (General Studies 4)
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life” basically question will be based upon the practical situations and case studies.
Textbooks for UPSC Mains Paper 8 & 9 – (Optional Subjects)
For optional subjects, there are two papers, Here you need to choose one subject either you choose it from optional subjects or literature subjects. For any subject, there will be two papers.
All in one or GS Manual for UPSC Mains GS Paper (1,2,3 & 4)
Arihant expert has launched four books to cover up the Mains General Studies Syllabus and they are
- IAS Mains Paper 1 Indian Heritage & Culture History & Geography of the world & Society
- IAS Mains Paper 2 Governance Constitution, Polity Social Justice & International Relations
- IAS Mains Paper 3 Technology Economic Development Bio-Diversity Environment, Security & Disaster Management
- IAS Mains Paper 4 Ethics Integrity & Aptitude
You can buy these books separately or choose the combo pack, the cost will remain the same.
Books for UPSC Interview
- Civil Services Interview – by Madhukar Bhagat
- Common Mistakes At UPSC Civil Services Examination & How to Avoid Them – By Abhishek Dular
- Esencia Current Affairs – By H.S Sidhu
UPSC CSE Mains Previous Year Solved Question Paper Books
- IAS General Studies Main Solved Papers – New Vishal
- IAS Mains General Studies Solved Papers – By Rohit Vadhwana (IFS)
- IAS Mains Chapterwise Solved Papers General Studies – By Arihant Expert
So this is the complete set of books based on the syllabus and papers of UPSC Civil Services Examination.
Tips regarding the selection of books for IAS prelims and mains
- First of all, keep this in mind you cant prepare for UPSC with a single book
- You have to follow different resources of good quality
- That’s why we have created this compilation based on different subjects of UPSC
- The books mentioned here are selected after careful scrutiny of IAS toppers study materials
- Photostats or PDFs supplied by coaching institutes may not give you the right information and broad perspective. If you are an IAS/IPS/IFS aspirant, you should invest in good textbooks.
We keep on updating this list, so whenever a new version is launched it’s reflected here too. So you download this list as PDF here or bookmark this page to keep yourself updated.